In general, creation of new jobs is considered as the duty of the government. Jobs may be created by new investments or employing personnel in official positions with the purpose of combating unemployment.
However, jobs created through such ways are not healthy because:
- New investments should be made only when there is need. Since employment targeted investments are generally not made in comparative superiority areas, products and services with low competitive power are produced. This in turn, in the long-run, gives just the reverse results -unemployment-.
- In the past, investments used to create labour-intensive jobs; but nowadays, technology-intensive jobs are prevalent. Even businesses that have been considered as the source of labour-intensive jobs such as construction, agriculture have been mechanized largely. Robotics has entered into almost all areas of the industry, with the need for small numbers of well trained manpower as a conclusion.
- Creating employment by employing people in public positions is a method that gives negative results even in the short run. The quality of public services that might be considered as the infrastructure of the economic and social life of the public depends on the quality of public officials. Cadres boosted up aiming employment will not produce quality work, and this will, in turn, shall affect back the economic and social life negatively.
In short, direct attempts to create jobs by the government are destined to be unsuccessful.
In reality, people can create jobs only by themselves or by getting organized. The role of the central or local authorities, professional organizations, voluntary institutions or commercial institutions, which all desire creation of jobs, is to establish and maintain the climate Â– legal, economic, technical and the infrastructure Â– in order to facilitate the attempts concerning jobs. This climate might be small scale at the level of tens or might be greater scale. Whatever this size is, the medium established can be called an Â“employment climateÂ”.
Who Will Benefit How from Establishing an Employment Climate?
In the past, to create directly employment or an employment climate was considered to the work of the government. Today, all organizations and institutions Â– including the commercial establishments Â– that know the direct or indirect consequences of unemployment have also realized that creating an employment climate means to pursue their own interests. The most important of these interests is protection from the negative impacts of Â“social desertificationÂ” caused by unemployment. In a society where unemployed persons are high in number, a social desert emerges which can pulverize even a profitable commercial enterprise.
Establishments which have succeeded to build up a rational and happy work environment within are effected by the negativities of the social desert around them. Thus, establishing or helping to be established climates where new jobs can be created has now become an indispensable management function
Can an Establishment Desiring to Create an Employment Climate Do This by Itself?
Yes, and No! If the establishment is a small scale one, it may not be able to do this alone. In such a case, a number of establishments must come together to create an employment climate. But if the establishment is a large scale one, it may achieve this alone by itself. Alone or together, creating employment is an expertise and it is only natural that most establishments do not involve such expertise. Therefore, some mediator organizations are required.
A Mediator Institution: Advertisement and Public Relations Firms
Advertisement and public relations firms are the leading institutions among mediator institutions. The field in which the funds allocated by the firms the PR of which they are responsible can best be used is creating new jobs in order to combat the social desertification in the environment of these firms.
Another mediator institution is consultancy firms related with strategic planning.
These institutions conduct planning; in doing so they must consider the firms they give consultancy service together with their entire environment and must take into account social desert environments.
Voluntary Institutions: Good Mediator Organizations
Voluntary institutions that desire to give service to the entire public or only a part of it are another type of mediator institution.
Who Will Create the Employment?
Mediator institutions that will create climate will introduce combat against social desertification into the functional areas of establishments, conducting the necessary orientation. But ultimately some people will work actively to create this climate. Who are these people?
At the first place are the local authorities. Servicing people in the social desert area is difficult and collecting the charge of these services is difficult as well. Therefore, one of the important functions of a local authority is combating against social desertification; and thus, establishing the climates in which new jobs can be created. Above all, they have all the necessary means.
Organizations such as commercial establishments, voluntary institutions, the Turkish Armed Forces, various governmental offices have functionality partly as climate creators and partly as mediators.
And finally, the central authority is the most important organization in combating social desertification and because of this, holds an indispensable mediator function in creation and maintenance of employment climate.
All is well up to Now, But Who Will Design the Employment Climate?
People will create the jobs. Mediator institutions will direct the creation and maintenance of employment climate. Local and central authorities and various institutions will create the climate.
But a very important link in the chain is missing: the design of the employment climate! Each design means finding the answers to a series of questions. In climate design too, there are questions to be answered. For example:
- What are the borders of the social desert Â– with respect to geography, income distribution, and average income and in other respects?
- How is the population profile Â– age, sex, literacy, etc. Â– to be the subject of the jobs that might be created within these borders?
- What are the necessities that constitute the source of the jobs?
- What is the state of the infrastructure Â– communication, education, etc.?
- To what extent are the administrators of the public offices open to innovations Â– especially in relation to establishing the employment climate?
- Within the borders, what is the number of organizations that will support climate creation programmes; what are levels of their assets and the level of their awareness of the subject?
- Which of the various job creation techniques can be used within these borders?
- Other items that should be known in relation to other factors that might effect climate creationÂ…
Climate design is just like the architectural design of a building. All demands, all limit conditions, all possibilities are brought together and a design that will answer all these is planned. Following the design, creation of the climate is only a question of implementing an action plan.
What can we do?
We can plan the design and provide the related action plan.